Thursday, January 21, 2010

Sumptuous Scallops!

An amazing thing has happened this week... the sun has been out three days in a row!  The, previously unheard of, warm weather made my husband desperate for a dive and we dashed out of our respective offices at 5pm on the dot last evening and made for... an undisclosed location.  While I sat basking in the sun, book in hand, my 'hunter/gatherer' husband (hereby known as "The HG") went in search of Kiamoana.


Jackpot!

The HG got the legal limit of some of the biggest, juciest scallops I have ever seen!  Not bad for 45mins in the water.




The last lot of scallops The HG brought home, we cooked in their shells (after they had been cleaned and gutted) with garlic and butter on the BBQ.  This time we decided to wrap the muscle (white part) in streaky bacon and cook on the BBQ and just do the roe (orange part) in the shells with garlic and butter.  I cannot tell you how delicious this was!  Very rich though.  We served the scallops with potatoes mashed with creamcheese (my favourite mash!).

To cook the roe (and some of the smaller whole scallops) in the shells, The HG first melted the butter and garlic in the shells on the BBQ and then added the meat to it.  The scallops cook in only a few minutes.  The bacon-wrapped meat went straight onto the hotplate, the bacon protects the scallops from becoming tough and overcooked, and took slightly longer to cook.






















Wags got very excited about licking the shells clean after dinner!

1 comment:

  1. I think I just drooled. Not as badly as Wags drooled on my jeans the other day though.

    ReplyDelete