Thursday, February 10, 2011

Crayfish and Broad Bean Risotto

The HG has been hard at work again bringing me home a couple of sizable Wairarapa Crayfish!  We generally steam crayfish and eat them cold with some wasabi mayo on the side, with bread and butter or in a salad, however I have to side with Rocky (from Taika Waititi's movie BOY who groans about having crayfish for dinner AGAIN!- sorry NZ reference) and sometimes you need to shake things up a bit.  So, last night we had an amazing Crayfish risotto with broad beans, which we had frozen from our bumper crop in December.

The broad beans held up quite well after being frozen (I lightly blanched then prior to freezing) however in the future I think I'll probably use them in a dip or mash rather than whole, as the texture was a little off.

I kept the risotto very simple, just sweating the onion before adding the rice, then garlic, wine (I used Riesling) and homemade fish stock (added in the traditional manner, bit by bit).  I also had a couple of peels of lemon rind in while the rice was cooking.


When the rice was almost cooked I added the already cooked and chopped crayfish and then at the last minute the cooked broad beans and stirred through a large dollop of Ricotta (I would usually add butter at this point, however post-Christmas we are trying to be a bit healthier so used ricotta instead!) and some fresh chives from the garden.


I found this interesting Crayfish Oil at Ontrays in Petone last year and bought it on impulse, it has since been sitting unopened waiting for inspiration to strike!  So I drizzled a tiny, little bit over the top of the plated risotto - very powerful stuff!


The risotto was delicious and so full of flavour due to the homemade fish stock.  And it just so happens there was enough left over for lunch today, so I'm off to take care of that now - YUM!

No comments:

Post a Comment