Friday, March 5, 2010

Suburban Benevolence

I must admit that after several years of inner-city dwelling I was more than a little nervous about moving to the 'burbs, after all, I had spent many hours ranting about the strange people from god-knows-where who invaded the city every day via public transport.

I lived in an apartment building for over three years and didn't know anyone on my floor and only a few others in the building (met through work or mutual friends - certainly not from striking up a conversation in the elevator).  So the biggest shock suburbia had in store for me, was that people actually talk to each other!  If I'm in my front yard, busy tending the weeds and pulling out the plants (I don't know how you're supposed to tell the difference), people who are walking past, actually stop to say hello and chat about the weather!  This unusual and bizzarre behaviour stunned me initially however I am gradually becoming used to it and The HG is even playing the game by giving away excess veges from the garden to the neighbours... which has paid dividends!

We have a lovely elderly lady on one side of us and we came home recently to find a jar of fresh home-made Damson Plum jam in the letterbox.  Warm fuzzies all round - thanks Shirley! 



No comments:

Post a Comment