Thursday, March 11, 2010

Fish with a Chilli and Basil Tomato Sauce

Whenever I am looking for something fast and simple that is packed with flavour I consult my Donna Hay, knowing that it will come to my rescue with great recipes and ideas.  I bought 'the instant cook' when it first came out around six years ago and of my many (many) books it would be one of the most frequently consulted.  One of the things I love about this book is that it gives multiple variations to the recipes.

Last night made a variation of the fish with tomato sauce recipe.

Ingredients
2 x white fish fillets (I used Blue cod)
1 T olive oil
1 onion, sliced
1/4 t chilli flakes
3 ripe tomatoes, sliced
2 t lemon rind
good glug of white wine
2 T fresh basil, chopped

1. Heat oil in a saute pan, add onion and chilli flakes and cool for three minutes;

2. Season fish fillets with salt and pepper then add to the pan.  Cook 4-5 minutes per side or until just cooked.  Remove fish from pan and keep warm;

3. Add tomatoes and lemon rind and cook for around three minutes;

4. Add wine and allow to reduce right down before adding basil.  Season to taste.

I served the fish with some potatoes roasted with lemon juice and topped with loads of the tomato sauce... I think the sauce is supposed to serve 4 but I'm very greedy so this was just enough for the two of us!

Donna's original recipe used parsley instead of basil, however my parsley is looking very sad at the moment and we have heaps of basil.  Also, the original recipe did not call for wine but I added it because I wanted a little bit of sweetness with the tomatoes and I also like them to be quite well-cooked and a bit more 'sauce-like'.

This was very tasty and extremely quick - Donna saves the day yet again!




No comments:

Post a Comment